Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Wall Shelf - Crafty Sisters

Hello again from Crafty Sisters!
Nicole and I are so glad that Krystal picked the theme of "organization" this month for Wood You Like To Craft?
It gave me the inspiration to finish the shelves that have been sitting in my garage for the past two years!  I was also inspired by my husband's words as we cleaned out the garage that they might end up in the landfill if they are not finished. :)
 To build the shelves, I used the Flat Wall Bookshelf plans by the amazing Ana White.  The shelves are similar to the Madison wall shelf by Pottery Barn.

The shelves are built out of mdf, sliced to size by the nice guys at Home Depot.  I used primed mdf 1x2's for the front slats, although they do split very easily so make sure to pre drill everything that you can.  A countersink bit and lots of wood putty were great for the screws and holes.  I primed them 2 years ago and that's pretty much where I left off!
After a couple coats of spray paint and a new purpose, they were good to go!

Instead of displaying my children's books, I decided the shelves were the perfect size to hold my craft supplies. The shelves are narrow so it took some creativity to make the perfect containers.  I used mason jars with painted lids and papered tops to hold my small supplies.  I found that light bulb boxes and Costco graham cracker boxes were the right size too.  I covered each with cute wrapping paper for an easy fix.

I added a dowel above one of the shelves to hold rolls of ribbon.  I love it and it keeps all my crazy ribbons in order.  I have some fun plans for these two shelves in a crafting area that will hopefully be done soon!

Thanks for the great theme and inspiration Krystal!  A huge thanks to Ana White and her amazing plans she shares with us!

2 comments:

Krystal said...

Ok... Totally jealous! Those are awesome! What a great way store all your stuff! Love!

Angie said...

This is fantastic...I need one!! =)