Monday, December 8, 2014

Baby Jesus Ornaments from Crafty Sisters

Seasons Greetings from Crafty Sisters!
We are so glad to be back with Wood You Like To Craft and
December's theme of Baby Jesus Ornaments! Krystal, Wendy, Melinda, Candace and I thought it would be so fun to do an Ornament Exchange with a common theme.

We are so excited to share our little ornament with you!
Each year I make a new Baby Jesus ornament to give to my Primary kids I teach at church.  Sometimes it gets a little challenging because there's only so many ways to do a cute little pink face and a brown manger right?

This year I wanted to do a lighter theme and use some spray glitter!
Here's the little pattern I came up with.
The finished size is about 3 1/2" tall by 2 1/2" wide.
I cut both pieces out of 1/4" MDF.  This thickness is just right for ornaments and gives you enough thickness to be able to screw in a tiny "i" hook to attach either ribbon or ornament hooks.  Make sure you pre drill your holes because MDF can split easily when you put in those hooks.
Once cut and sanded I painted them a really light buttermilk for the swaddling cloth and a a light tan for the manger.  Again~make sure you paint the back~it makes the perfect place to either write in a Christmas greeting or to date the year you created the ornament.
Remember our great tip for painting all those little baby heads?  Stick them onto some masking tape that you can stick to your counter.  It makes it so easy to paint all those heads but even easier to dot all those little eyes with out them rolling off under your oven to find next year!  The perfect size head is a wooden 1" plug found at your local craft store or home improvement store.

After everything is painted and dried I always sand of a bit of the edges to create a highlighted look.  I glued everything together with hot glue, running a strip of glue along the bottom of the swaddling edge to stick a bit of excelsior onto.  Then if you are in a glitter mode do a light spray of glitter followed with a bit of clear craft spray to seal everything in.  
There ya go~a perfect little Baby Jesus ornament.....now I only have about 80 more to make......

We are so excited to see what Krystal, Melinda and Wendy come up with and I'm even more excited to get one in the mail to hang on my tree!  Make sure to come back each day this week to see what they create!  
Merry Christmas!





1 comment:

Krystal said...

Oh I love it! It is SOOoo cute! I can't wait to check the mail!